Wednesday 22 October 2014

I AM fake

I heard last week that an idol is something that takes you way from God.
And I tried really hard to pretend that I didn’t have any idols, that it wasn’t me who was one of those people who put something else before God. But actually I am one of those people.  
An idol is any person, object or activity you give a higher priority in your life than a relationship with God. An idol can be your home, your job, a vehicle, a relationship, or even your family. An idol can be a pet, a computer, or what you look at on that computer. An idol can be alcohol, drugs, sex, or any sin. An idol can be the work you do for the Lord that consumes all your energy and time. God says He’s a jealous God. He wants our time and attention.

 “This is what God-of-the-Angel-Armies, the God of Israel, says ‘You saw with your own eyes the terrible doom that I brought down on Jerusalem and the Judean cities. Look at what is left: ghost towns of rubble and smoking ruins, and all because they took up with evil ways, making me angry by going off to offer sacrifices and worship the latest in gods – no gods that neither they nor you nor your ancestors knew the first thing about. Morning after morning and long into the night I kept after you, sending you all those prophets, my servants, begging you, “please, please – don’t do this, don’t fool around in this loathsome gutter of gods that I hate with a passion.” But do you think anyone paid the least bit of attention or repented of evil or quit offering sacrifices to the no-gods? Not one. So I let loose with my anger, a fire-storm of wrath in the cities of Judea and the streets of Jerusalem, and left them in ruins and wasted, and they’re still in ruins and wasted.’” Jeremiah 44:2-6

This is God’s anger against His own people! The people of Judah had been warned but they refused to listen. It is exactly the same today, people will tell you to turn your life back to God, DESTROY your idols. Don’t keep those idols on show if they are the things keeping you from a righteous walk with God.

It is so easy to leave God in the back of your mind, but by putting Him in the back of your mind something else must be in the front of your mind. Maybe we need to take a good look at our lives what it is that in the forefront. What are our idols? What is taking us away from God? Only you will have the answer to that it is between you and God. Enjoy finding out and replacing it with God.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren. Hope you are having a useful experience on your hospital holiday and not bumping your head on too much of the equipment. We're missing you here though.

    Just reading your blog again and noticed there aren't many comments. Do not be discouraged. As I said, I am reading it again, for the nth time, and each time I gain something from it. I would think that others do the same and like me and don't comment. Sorry. Thanks you for your blog, and thankl you for being the amazing Lauren Harry. Ian.

    ReplyDelete